Three police personnel -- station officer Ramji Lal, sub-inspector Raj Singh and lady constable Sukhraj Kaur -- have been suspended following the incident.
A 'rape victim' was allegedly set ablaze by 6 persons in Dhandari Khurd area in Ludhiana on Thursday.
The Andaman and Nicobar police have arrested a Port Blair-based businessman, carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh, from Haryana in connection with a gang rape case, an officer said on Monday.
The top court on Monday directed the protesting resident doctors to resume work by 5 pm on Tuesday, observing that if "there is continued abstention from work, there may be a likelihood of adverse action".
The woman's family has alleged that she was gangraped by the men as they did not withdraw the rape case against them.
The fourth accused, Kasim Bangali, is the eldest of the five accused and was the one who sexually assaulted the victim twice, the police said
The Trinamool Congress on Thursday refuted accusations of a police cover-up by the parents of the woman doctor who was allegedly raped and murdered, insisting that a newly surfaced video contradicts their claims by showing the family previously satisfied with the investigation.
A person was arrested in Kolkata for allegedly disclosing the identity on social media of the doctor who was raped and murdered at RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, and issuing threats to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, police said on Monday.
More than nine years after a former disciple of Asaram Bapu lodged a case of rape against him during her earlier stay in his ashram, a court in Gandhinagar on Monday convicted the self-styled godman and is likely to pronounce the sentence on Tuesday.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has brought back Salman Rehman Khan, an alleged member of the Lashkar-e-Taiba, from Rwanda. Khan was wanted by the NIA for terror-related offences in Bengaluru. He was traced to Rwanda and returned to India on November 28, 2024. The return of Khan comes after similar operations in coordination with Interpol, where two other accused were brought back from Saudi Arabia.
The 17-year-old minor boy who is an accused in the July 31 gang rape case was identified by the victim and her boyfriend, during an identification parade held at the juvenile remand home in South Mumbai, police said.
A 25-year-old man in Jharkhand's Khunti district allegedly strangled his live-in partner to death and chopped her body into 40 to 50 pieces in a forested area. The accused, Naresh Bhengra, was arrested after stray dog was found with human body parts near Jordag village. Bhengra had married another woman without informing his partner and took her to the forest to kill her after she pressured him to return to Khunti. The incident has sent shockwaves in the region, recalling the Shraddha Walker murder case of 2022.
The victim, who suffered injuries due to the assault, has been admitted to a hospital and her condition is stated to be critical, Indore's Deputy Commissioner of Police Amit Tolani told reporters.
The SIT headed by Monika Bhardwaj submitted the charge sheet on Friday.
A station house officer was arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl who was left outside his police station in Uttar Pradesh's Lalitpur by four men after they raped her for three days, officials said on Wednesday.
The protest against the alleged sexual abuse of two girls at a school in Badlapur town of Maharashtra's Thane district turned violent on Tuesday as the angry agitators vandalised the school and also indulged in stone-pelting at the local railway station during the 'rail blockade', police said.
The Madras high court on Friday upheld a trial court order convicting over 200 men, including forest and police officials and sentencing them to various prison terms for atrocities committed against tribals including rape, where the victims included a minor girl and a pregnant woman.
Well-known Malayalam producer-actor Vijay Babu has been booked for allegedly sexually assaulting a female actor and disclosing the survivor's identity through a Facebook Live session.
John Fernandes, an accused in the Russian girl rape case, was absconding on Wednesday and the police was hot on the trail of the high profile politician from South Goa whose anticipatory bail has been cancelled.
A 12-bore gun was seized from the six accused, arrested in the Swiss woman's gang rape case, police said on Monday. The accused would be produced in the court later in the day.
Saxena has also approved engaging Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to represent the Delhi government in the case, a senior official said.
She said the commission has sent a notice to the Delhi Police and the city government's women and child development and services departments, seeking action in the matter, and it was important to meet the minor and her mother for further action.
Prajwal Revanna, the suspended Janata Dal-Secular MP facing sexual abuse allegations, was arrested on Friday upon his return from Germany, a month after he left the country in the wake of explicit videos of his alleged actions doing the rounds in Karnataka's Haasan.
He will be produced in a court, police sources said.
Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy was found not guilty of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault on Friday.
The victim's family has alleged that police failed to take prompt action on their complaint and delayed action citing jurisdictional issues between Rewari and Mahendragarh district units.
The woman, who works at a well-known IT company and is in Chaibasa as she is working from home, was out with her boyfriend on a two-wheeler on Thursday evening when the incident took place near the old aerodrome in Chaibasa, they said.
The 35-year-old security guard who was the prime suspect in the rape and murder of an 18-year-old girl student of a government hostel in south Mumbai, was not officially appointed but was a laundry man who died by suicide after the crime, the police said on Wednesday.
Goa politician John Fernandes, accused of raping a Russian girl on Colva Beach on December 1, on Wednesday surrendered before the Crime Branch in Panaji, almost a month after he went missing. Deputy Superintendent of Police Chandrakant Salgaoncar told reporters that John has been placed under arrest and he will be questioned to get further evidence in the case. The accused will be charged with destroying evidence.
Her statement comes in the wake of alleged rape of a four-year-old girl in Khandwa district of the state earlier this week.
Monserratte, the girl's mother and another woman, Rosy Ferros, were granted bail following their arrest for allegedly selling her to the MLA for Rs 50 lakh.
Holding s strong brief for her Rural Development Minister Daddu Prasad, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati on Thursday dismissed the accusation of rape against him as "false and baseless."
The parents of a doctor who was raped and murdered at state-run R G Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata four months ago expressed unhappiness over the opposition BJP's role in demanding justice for their daughter. They said they would hit the street over the issue, feeling that the incident has been forgotten by the principal opposition party of West Bengal. They criticized the reinstatement of some of the junior doctors accused of patronizing a threat culture in state medical colleges, raising doubts about the intent to bring to book those responsible. The parents have been vocal in their demand for justice and have opened a Facebook account and posted videos urging people to stand with them. The case is currently being investigated by the CBI.
As outrage spread over the horrific gang rape of two Dalit sisters in the district, authorities on Friday sacked two constables in connection with the crime even as police arrested another accused in the case.
The CPI-M's allegations were termed a political conspiracy by the opposition Congress which accused the Left party of stooping low to target its political opponents.
The two were charged with rape and murder and sentenced to death by a lower court in the killings in Nithari, Noida, that horrified the nation with the details of sexual assault, brutal murder and hints of possible cannibalism.
The woman also claimed that that she had received a call from the "D" gang threatening her to not register a complaint against the businessman.